Web Hosting
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default How often do you reboot your VPS?

How often are you rebooting your VPS? Just curious what other people are doing here...

Hello Biggunn,

We do not have scheduled reboot of our VPS servers, because the normal operation of these servers does nor require rebooting on a regular basis. The only reboots which we perform are either upon customers' request or upon performing server side changes/upgrades. In the latter case we inform our customers in advance so that they can in turn inform the visitors in case the maintenance involves any temporary disruptions of the provided service.
    Best Regards,
    Nikolay A.
    SiteGround Senior Support Team

Join us on Facebook
    Follow us on Twitter
    Web Hosting Suitable for You!

This notification process is the same for other kind of maintenance? eg network or power supply maintentance?

Hello Stoixima,

Yes, the specified cases follow the same policy of notification.
    Best Regards,
    Nikolay A.
    SiteGround Senior Support Team

Join us on Facebook
    Follow us on Twitter
    Web Hosting Suitable for You!

Thanks Niko for the answer!

Never, unitl my vps down

Yes as like ddm said until it down.

Hello..
    I have a Windows VPS.
    Should I reboot it every so often or is it fine to leave it running as long as it can.
    please give me suggestion.Thanks.

about 1 yr once time

I would definately try and reboot your VPS server at least at a minimum of every quarter. Doing it once a year can cause you possible power supply errors.

Why rebooting something which works good. Once a year is ok for me.

This notification process is the same for other kind of maintenance? eg network or power supply maintentance?

Quote Originally Posted by biggunn View Post
    How often are you rebooting your VPS? Just curious what other people are doing here...
    If your server is running Linux, then you should absolutely NEVER reboot it, unless it is crashed, or there is a kernel upgrade. There's no reason to reboot a Unix system. Worst case, you could restart all daemons if you need to (like after a timezone change), but that is it.

Quote Originally Posted by harris View Post
    Hello..
    I have a Windows VPS.
    Should I reboot it every so often or is it fine to leave it running as long as it can.
    please give me suggestion.Thanks.
    Being windows, i would think about rebooting it after every major upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by brenton View Post
    If your server is running Linux, then you should absolutely NEVER reboot it, unless it is crashed, or there is a kernel upgrade. There's no reason to reboot a Unix system. Worst case, you could restart all daemons if you need to (like after a timezone change), but that is it.
    you make this sound like it is never going to come back online again, just to clarify there is no harm in rebooting it, but i would rather reboot the daemons.

I find that rebooting once in a while (like every few months) does help.

Once a quarter is recomended

reboots should only be done if required. If the O/S requires it i would apply a reboot on my VPS other than that never. Your Host should also be keeping solid backups of your VPS just in case.

If I'm running Linux I find it never necessary to reboot. This is one reason why I much prefer linux to windows for servers. Only on windows are reboots often required after new program installations. This is due to the way the kernel is structured.

The only time I've ever found it necessary to reboot linux was due to a system lock up, or hardware change.

I reboot once a month religiously because I want to clear out any and all of the files that might be in cache. I think it makes a difference although I really don't have much empirical data to back it up. Things just seem to be much smoother after I reboot.

--
    Doug Williams, CEO
    Master of the Boise blinds
    Jooma 2.5, Cpanel WHM version 11.30, Macbook Pro 120 GB, 4 GB Ram

Rebooting a VPS is not like rebooting a dedicated server. Since the entire reboot process is on a virtual server, the whole process can take 10 seconds if you don't have too much software loading up on boot (and your server isn't too slow)