Web Hosting

Default Issues with header links

I added a page (contact me) and it appears in the header. I want to manually add the page links there. Does any new page automatically head to the header? (If so, I will manually put the link in the sidebar and will put a mailto link in the footer). The theme is siteground wp-43.

Also, Pages is now at the top of my sidebar. But I use sidebar.php where the order of the items and the items themself are specified by me. Since I didn't add the Pages section to sidebar.php, how can I move it down? I'm thinking that I can specify order in the admin area, but since technically that is the only section in the sidebar in the admin area, I can't tell it where to go. Can I disable that from happening? Or do I simply have to create pages manually and place the link in the sidebar.php file?

Hello,

By default the theme adds all pages to the top menu. If you want to use the WordPress custom menu system or even hardcoded links, you'll have to edit the header.php file of the theme and make changes. As to the mailto link, it should go in the footer.php file.

As to your other question, did you try using widgets? I think you'll find them very useful. You can even add custom html and include whatever you want in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hristo.P View Post
    Hello,

By default the theme adds all pages to the top menu. If you want to use the WordPress custom menu system or even hardcoded links, you'll have to edit the header.php file of the theme and make changes. As to the mailto link, it should go in the footer.php file.

As to your other question, did you try using widgets? I think you'll find them very useful. You can even add custom html and include whatever you want in it.
    Thanks. I can edit the header and add my own links, which I plan to do. But can I disable Pages from going up there?

I tried Widgets 10 years ago but my coder used sidebar.php. To me it is easier to edit one file and add/delete links, change order, add in ads, etc. I paid for this on my new blog so now have the code for others. (I have been ill/in a coma for four years and lost all sites plus memory so can't remember it or look it up).

Can I disable Pages from appearing in the sidebar (someone wrote that I could check a box to do this but under Pages, Add New I don't see it)? If I create a page I'd create a link manually.

Hello,

To remove the pages from being listed in your header, open the header.php file and remove this line:

<?php wp_list_pages('sort_column=menu_order&depth=1&titl e_li=');?>

As to your sidebar, just open sidebar.php and add whatever items you want. You can remove those you don't want to be displayed including the archives, categories, etc.

Thanks. I commented out the header, added a page and it didn't show -- but -- there is now a white space at the top of the page. It goes the length of the page and appears to be one line of space..

And the Page ended up in the sidebar, too. I can't disable pages from showing on the sidebar? I don't have to edit sidebar.php as it isn't in there. I can upload it to overwrite, but I'd rather it not show at all.

Oh, just in case, this is from header.php so you'll see I didn't add that space

<ul class="nav">
    <li class="page_item"><a href="<?php echo get_settings('home'); ?>/" title="Home">Home</a></li>
    <!-- <?php wp_list_pages ('sort_column=menu_order&depth=1&title_li=');?> -->

</ul>

Any idea why I now have that line of white space at the top?

Is there any way you can give me the URL of your website? Maybe on a PM or something? It's a bit difficult to troubleshoot such issues without access to the website itself

The white space reappeared the day after it disappeared.

Still can't edit the header but I'm hopeful

Maybe you're experiencing some caching issues? Have you cleared your site and browser cache?

Maybe you're experiencing some caching issues? Have you cleared your site and browser cache?
    I don't think so. It was fine on this Windows laptop one day then went back to showing. I checked it on my iPad and it's there. I'd never gone there via iPad.

Please send me a PM with more information on how to access the admin area of your site. I will check your template and see what's wrong.

Please send me a PM with more information on how to access the admin area of your site. I will check your template and see what's wrong.
    Sent. Thank you!