Web Hosting

Default Mambo vs Joomla?

I have been experimenting with Mambo and am planning to convert at least one of my sites to Mambo. But I have also been reading about the Mambo/Joomla split and I'm wondering if anyone here has opinions about which platform is preferable. I'd really rather make this decision now and not have to convert later if one platform seems to have a better future than the other. Thanks!

I'm no pro at either Joomla or Mambo... But, I had better success with Joomla.

There is very little difference now, but Joomla seemed to work 'better' than mambo.

Wink

Well after starting out on Mambo, and now a dedicated Joomla user ( all my sites are in joomla), you'd be silly to stay with mambo.

I had an experience not so long ago, someone was running a script on a mambo site that was hacked and affected all sites from the host running mambo / joomla / php nuke, well i had one site on mambo still but by the time the host realised it was a mambo site being hacked, joomla sites went back up, but alas the mambo site stayed down for a further 3 hours.

The difference with Joomla though is thats where the core programmers are these days, mambo is basically dead in the water, and most projects being done these days are for Joomla.

The security, features, ease of use with Joomla is far better in my opinion than Mambo.

Needless to say i don't have any sites these days on Mambo, nor will i go back to Mambo....

Call me a Joomla convertee.

But all this is only my opinion.

Merry Xmas..
    Geoff

I started with Mambo a long time ago, but now all y sites are inJoomla. Especially because Miro doesn't seem to offer the core developers any thing to say, so they left Mambo for what it is and created Joomla. In my opinion you should move to Joomla, it's relly free and the developers are really really great

Scubaman

Exclamation Can I convert to Joomla and not break Fantastico?

It is my understanding that if I upgrade to Joomla with Fantastico, it will break my site. So I'll ahve to make manual modifications, which will then break my connection to Fantastico.

Any thoughts on this?

just use your ftp and overwrite the mambo files with the joomla files. The support people can do this for you as well.

so do the same tempaltes work, or are do you do an entire redesign when migrating to j from m?

I got the support guys to upgrade to Joomla from Mambo for me - they completed the work in a jiffy and it was painless and problem free. I would recommend this excellent service, especially if you're a bit nervous

I have yet to strike a template that doesn't work in Joomla. I'm quite happy with it so far.

Default From Mambo to Joomla!

Hi,

SiteGround provides migration from Mambo to Joomla platform for its customers. You can check our Joomla Hosting services here

Both CMS's are quite the same. You can use Mambo templates for Joomla sites and Joomla addons on Mambo platform. If you would like to add Google AdSense to a Joomla site you can use the Mambo-Adsense guide.

The only difference I have noticed is the image upload option that Joomla offers while posting new content.
    Last edited by Kate; 06-25-2007 at 07:27 AM.

@kate
    for now the differences are subtle, but soon joomla will be very far away from mambo in development. the biggest difference is the bug support, in joomla they just released the 7th patch to its code to update bugs and security threats versus mambos 1 release in november since its main code release. Most 3pds went to joomla and after joomla 1.1 the differences with mambo and joomla will be severe.