Web Hosting

Default MediaWiki: 403 error

I'm frequently getting a 403 message:

Forbidden
    You don't have permission to access /index.php on this server.

Additionally, a 403 Forbidden error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.
    Apache/1.3.41 Server at www.fanhistory.com Port 80

When I check the error log, it says "[Tue Apr 29 22:21:31 2008] [error] PHP Warning: socket_sendto() [<a href='function.socket-sendto'>function.socket-sendto</a>]: Host lookup failed [-10001]: Unknown host in /home/fandomin/public_html/includes/RecentChange.php on line 189"

I've tried to disable a number of extensions. I did remove $wgRC2UDPAddress = true; which seemed to fix things for about 10 minutes but it didn't work. I popped in a fresh version of RecentChange.php and it didn't work. I checked the permissions on various files. I removed extensions I thought I could do with out.

I'm kind of boggled to figure out what is happening. :/

The error message above doesn't seem to be connected with the 403 Forbidden error. Most probably, the application is hitting some kind of a limit and hence it's denying access to the site for a while.

It's best to post a ticket to our Support Team using the WebSite Down category as soon as you receive one of those message. I'm sure they will be able to help you.

I did. :/ They said:

It seems that your application has been configured to notify some external application on UDP. As the connection to the remote application is failing you are receiving an error message.

Please kindly reconfigure your Media Wiki application and try to access your web page again.

I'm wondering if MediaWiki might just have reached its limits considering the number of pages and the number of visits. (Or not.) Even after the problem with UDP was fixed and addressed, we were still having issues with 403 issues. :/

We're running 1.10 and RSS and the atom feeds on recent changes pages have not worked since we had a paid for upgrade from 1.6. I'm wondering if having SiteGround upgrade to 1.12 might solve these problems. :/

backup your database, delete all file, get a new version of mediawiki and upload it per ftp to your webspace. if that won't solve your problem change your hosting provider!

Quote Originally Posted by santacruzz86 View Post
    backup your database, delete all file, get a new version of mediawiki and upload it per ftp to your webspace. if that won't solve your problem change your hosting provider!
    When your database is around a gig, that is easier said then done. :/